Happy World Book Day 2012 – And Happy 5th Birthday to Books LIVE :)

World Book Day

Alert! It’s World Book and Copyright Day!

In most parts of said world, at least. The UK and Ireland had their World Book Day last month already. You’d think that, as the main-bits-of-the-world World Book Day is celebrated, in part, because of Shakespeare’s birthday (and deathday for that matter – though there was the matter of a switch of calendars between the first April 23rd and the second), the Brits would be out banging pots and blowing fifes for books today. But it’s not to be – and so we in the world of the printed word await the great reconciliation of April twenty-thirders and first-Thursday-in-Marchers for yet another long, cold year.

(There’s also a World Book Night now – but that’s another matter.)

But hark, it’s also Books LIVE’s birthday today. Bang some pots and blow some fifes, hooray!

As BOOK SA, we would be turning five years old today; as the rejuvenated Books LIVE, we’re celebrating our fifth and our first. Relive the key BOOK SA / Books LIVE natal milestones here:

Thanks to all who’ve made BOOK SA / Books LIVE what it is today – especially all the publishers and writers who’ve supported us through our growing pains for what is officially half a decade now. You’re the best!

Let’s celebrate with the Beatles:

YouTube Preview Image

More on this year’s World Book Day from the UN:

23 April is a symbolic date for world literature for on this date in 1616, Cervantes, Shakespeare and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega all died. It is also the date of birth or death of other prominent authors such as Maurice Druon, Haldor K.Laxness, Vladimir Nabokov, Josep Pla and Manuel Mejía Vallejo.

And even more from UNESCO:

The year 2012 also marks the 80th anniversary of the Index Translationum. This international bibliography of translation provides a unique tool for the monitoring of translation flows in the world. UNESCO will celebrate this anniversary by organizing a debate on this instrument. This meeting, which will take place at UNESCO Headquarters on 23 April 2012, will bring together researchers and users of the Index Translationum as well as specialists in the field of translation and book markets.

April 23rd, 2012 @09:37 #

For those struggling to get into the spirit, here's some kitchen percussion:

• <a href="http://www.sapartridge.co.za" rel="nofollow">Sally</a>
    Sally
    April 23rd, 2012 @12:45 #

Happy birthday BookSA! I have so many reasons to be thankful to you. I remember how in 2007/8? you persuaded me to start a blog on your site and some time later a Twitter profile. If it wasn't for your efforts I would have no idea how to market myself. Its thanks to you that I met Helen, and also Sarah, Alex, Louis, Richard, Paige, Liesl, Karina, Henrietta, Colleen and all the other friends I've made here. But mostly I'm thankful to you guys for doing so much to promote South African literature, and making it such a friendly space to be in. Mwah! x

April 23rd, 2012 @18:11 #

That's lovely, Sally, thanks!

April 23rd, 2012 @22:13 #

Not an exaggeration to say that youse folk changed my life. I've made a lot of friends and drunk a lot of champagne thanks to BookSA ... so I raise a glass to you tonight. Thank you and congratulations!

• <a href="http://philyaa.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Phillippa Yaa</a>
    Phillippa Yaa
    April 23rd, 2012 @23:20 #

Happy Birthday BookSA! Even though I am annoyed because I can't get Jozi House of Poetry on to the events calendar, I applaud you for your enthusiasm that is embodied by Ben and the Spirit Sisters Fiona Snyckers and Liesl Jobson and all the other people who write and blog on Book SA. Well done and thank you for being such a stalwart.

April 24th, 2012 @07:14 #

Thanks, Helen and Phillippa :)

• <a href="http://www.modjajibooks.co.za" rel="nofollow">Colleen</a>
    Colleen
    April 24th, 2012 @18:35 #

Happy Birthday for yesterday, Ben and Bookslive, long live and long life. I had a migraine yesterday, so barely approached the Internet. I can't imagine life here without BooksLive in the same way I can't imagine it without The Book Lounge. And also to say that it is also Modjaji Books' 5th birthday this month, but I think I will make the celebration the date of the first book published, Megan Hall's Fourth Child, in October 2007. April 2007 I made the decision and opened the bank account and agreed to publish Megan's book and Azila's Life in Translation. And I've not looked back. Bookslive has made a space that has made it possible for a tiny publisher like Modjaji Books to be a presence, so thanks for that, Ben and your team.

April 25th, 2012 @07:13 #

HBD right back atcha, Colleen :) And viva Modjaji Books viva!