Bundu by Chris Barnard and Translator Michiel Heyns Longlisted for Independent Foreign Fiction Prize 2013
Alert! Bundu, Chris Barnard’s novel that was translated from the Afrikaans by Michiel Heyns and Black Bazaar by Alain Mabanckou, translated from the French by Sarah Ardizzone, have been longlisted for this year’s Independent Foreign Fiction Prize.
The prize was first awarded to Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk, and continues with the support of Arts Council England. Pamuk is on the longlist again this year for his novel, Silent House, translated from the original Turkish by Robert Finn.
The longlist of 16 books will be whittled down to a shortlist of six that will be announced on Thursday 11 April.
The Independent Foreign Prize honours the best work of fiction by a living author, which has been translated into English from any other language and published in the United Kingdom. Uniquely, the Independent Foreign Fiction Prize gives the winning author and translator equal status: each receives £5,000.
The longlist in full:
- A Death In the Family by Karl Ove Knausgaard translated from the Norweigian by Don Bartlett
- The Detour by Gerbrand Bakker translated from the Dutch by David Colmer
- HHhH by Laurent Binet translated from the French by Sam Taylor
- The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez translated from the Spanish by Anne McLean
- The Last of the Vostyachs by Diego Marani translated from the Italian by Judith Landry
- Cold Sea Stories by Pawel Huelle translated from the Polish by Antonia Lloyd-Jones
- The Fall of the Stone City by Ismail Kadare translated from the Albanian by John Hodgson
- Black Bazaar by Alain Mabanckou translated from the French by Sarah Ardizzone
- Bundu by Chris Barnard translated from the Afrikaans by Michiel Heyns
- Dublinesque by Enrique Vila-Matas translated from the Spanish by Rosalind Harvey and Anne McLean
- In Praise of Hatred by Khalid Khalifa translated from the Arabic by Leri Price
- The Murder of Halland by Pia Juul translated from the Danish by Martin Aitken
- Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai translated from the Hungarian by George Szirtes
- Silent House by Orhan Pamuk translated from the original Turkish by Robert Finn
- Traveller of the Century by Andrés Neuman translated from the Spanish by Nick Caistor and Lorenza Garcia
- Trieste by Daša Drndić translated from the Croatian by Ellen Elias-Bursac
- Black Bazaar by Alain Mabanckou
Find this book with BOOK Finder!