This longlist will be reduced to a shortlist of four books, with the winner being announced at the Specsavers Crime Thriller Awards in October. The judging panel, chaired by Richard Reynolds, consists of Ali Karim, Margaret Kinsman, Pippa Macallister, Heather O’Donoghue, Zoë Watkins and David Wilkerson. The panel commented that Beukes “plays with the abstractions of time, change, decay, memory, and imagination with great assurance and originality”.
The other seven books on the longlist:
- Belinda Bauer for Rubbernecker (Bantam/Transworld)
- Sam Hawken for Tequila Sunset (Serpent’s Tail)
- Mick Herron for Dead Lions (Soho Crime)
- Becky Masterman for Rage Against the Dying (Orion)
- Sara Paretsky for Breakdown (Hodder & Stoughton)
- Michael Robotham for Say You’re Sorry (Sphere)
- Don Winslow for The Kings of Cool (Heinemann)
Congratulations and good luck to Beukes!
The eight names on the longlist for the CWA 2013 Gold Dagger were announced at the CWA Gala Daggers award dinner on July 15th. This longlist will be whittled down to a shortlist of four later in the summer, with the eventual winner being revealed as part of the Specsavers Crime Thriller Awards in the autumn.
CWA Chair Alison Joseph commented: “Once again, this long list shows the talent that exists within the genre of crime and thriller writing. All these authors have shown their great skill in constructing stories which deal with the best and the worst of human behaviour. This is story-telling which is unflinching when considering Man’s capacity for evil, compassionate in the face of suffering, redemptive in its resolution; in other words, the best kind of story-telling.”