Position: Assistant Editor (Afrikaans)
Reporting to: Head: Books & eCommerce; Managing Editor: Books LIVE
Section: Times Media LIVE (Cape Town, Black River Park)
Times Media LIVE is the online publisher of many Times Media Group titles.
Purpose of job:
Books LIVE invites applications for the position of Assistant Editor (Afrikaans), a challenging and rewarding role within a digital media team that works at the nexus of South African writing and publishing.
The main purpose of the job is to implement Books LIVEâ€™s Afrikaans content marketing strategy with diligence and creativity.
The position is in Cape Town, South Africa.
Main responsibilities and outcomes:
The Assistant Editor (Afrikaans) will be responsible for a portfolio of digital activities, including web reporting, publisher information management, social media management and events coverage.
- Editorial planning assistance
- Web reporting and content marketing
- Coverage of book launches and other events
- Social media management
- Books LIVE community management
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills in both English and Afrikaans
- Highly skilled at writing copy, especially for marketing communications
- Ability to present creative and commercially sound recommendations for new content marketing initiatives
- Good understanding of and experience using social media channels, e.g., Facebook and Twitter
- In-depth knowledge of and enthusiasm for books and literature, especially Afrikaans books and literature
- Familiarity with the South African online news and content sector
- Understanding of content marketing and communications
- General awareness of current book events
- High level of attention to detail
- Good work ethic
- Willingness to take responsibility for quality and delivery
- Service orientated
Qualifications and experience:
- Tertiary qualification is desirable
- Strong digital skills, including a robust social media presence, is essential
- Previous experience in journalism is recommended
- Previous experience in the South African book sector is desirable
Applications should be addressed to Carolyn Meads and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close Monday 16 September 2013. Should you not receive a response by Friday 20 September 2013, please consider your application unsuccessful.