Position: Assistant Editor (Afrikaans)
Reporting to: Head: Books & eCommerce; Managing Editor: Books LIVE
Section: Times Media LIVE (Cape Town, Black River Park)
Times Media LIVE is the online publisher of many Times Media Group titles.
Purpose of job:
Books LIVE invites applications for the position of Assistant Editor (Afrikaans), a challenging and rewarding role within a digital media team that works at the nexus of South African writing and publishing.
The main purpose of the job is to implement Books LIVE’s Afrikaans content marketing strategy with diligence and creativity.
The position is in Cape Town, South Africa.
Main responsibilities and outcomes:
The Assistant Editor (Afrikaans) will be responsible for a portfolio of digital activities, including web reporting, publisher information management, social media management and events coverage.
- Editorial planning assistance
- Web reporting and content marketing
- Coverage of book launches and other events
- Social media management
- Books LIVE community management
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills in both English and Afrikaans
- Highly skilled at writing copy, especially for marketing communications
- Ability to present creative and commercially sound recommendations for new content marketing initiatives
- Good understanding of and experience using social media channels, e.g., Facebook and Twitter
- In-depth knowledge of and enthusiasm for books and literature, especially Afrikaans books and literature
- Familiarity with the South African online news and content sector
- Understanding of content marketing and communications
- General awareness of current book events
- High level of attention to detail
- Good work ethic
- Willingness to take responsibility for quality and delivery
- Service orientated
Qualifications and experience:
- Tertiary qualification is desirable
- Strong digital skills, including a robust social media presence, is essential
- Previous experience in journalism is recommended
- Previous experience in the South African book sector is desirable
Applications should be addressed to Carolyn Meads and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close Monday 16 September 2013. Should you not receive a response by Friday 20 September 2013, please consider your application unsuccessful.