Long Story Short: Watch Khulu Skenjana Reading Thando Mgqolozana’s Short Story, “The Weeping Willow”
Long Story Short is a series of live readings at community libraries, launched by arts and culture entrepreneur Kgauhelo Dube. Each event features an actor reading a short story or excerpt from a novel by an African writer at a public event, followed by a discussion. The readings are then packaged into literary podcasts and high quality videos for mobile and online platforms – making sure everybody has the opportunity to take part in acts of literature.
Four such events have been held, including a special launch of the project:
- Watch the Video and Listen to a Podcast from the First Long Story Short Event (Plus: Next Up Niq Mhlongo)
- Video: Mbali Kgosidintsi Reads Niq Mhlongo’s Story “Goliwood Drama” (Next Up: Abena Ayivor Reading Chibundu Onuzo)
- Video: Abena Ayivor Reads Chibundu Onuzo’s “Going Home” for Long Story Short (Next Up: Khulu Skenjana Reading Thando Mgqolozana)
The fourth Long Story Short event saw actor Khulu Skenjana read Thando Mgqolozana’s short story “The Weeping Willow” at the Es’kia Mphahlele Community Library in Pretoria. Unfortunately, it was cut short before the second part of event could take place – a discussion between South African Poet Laureate Keorapetse Kgositsile, Mgqolozana and MC Masello Motana.
Read Yewande Omotoso’s op-ed in reaction to this:
- Long Story Short Event at Es’kia Mphahlele Community Library Leaves Yewande Omotoso with Some Questions
Nonetheless, the video of Skenjana reading “The Weeping Willow” is top class. Get lost in Mgqolozana’s story:
- Not loading? View on YouTube
View a photo album from the event:
- Not loading? View on Flickr
- On mobile? View on Facebook
- Bom Boy by Yewande Omotoso
Find this book with BOOK Finder!