Alert! Nielsen has announced the shortlist of five titles that booksellers selected as the ones they most enjoyed reading, promoting and selling in 2014.
Last year’s award went to the controversial yet incredibly popular Real Meal Revolution by Tim Noakes, Sally-Ann Creed, David Grier, Jonno Proudfoot and Tudor Caradoc-Davies. In 2013 Frank Chikane won the award for Eight Days in September: The Removal of Thabo Mbeki.
This year’s shortlist includes three Afrikaans titles, another low carb lifestyle book and one English novel. Without further ado, here are the five books up for the R20 000 prize:
- 150 Stories by Nataniël, published by Human & Rousseau
- Goeiemore, Mnr Mandela by Zelda la Grange, published by Penguin
- Kamphoer by Francois Smith, published by Tafelberg
- Low Carb is Lekker by Ine Reynierse, published by Struik Lifestyle
- The Keeper by Marguerite Poland, published by Penguin
The winning book and author will be announced at this year’s PASA and SABA Annual Conference on 26 August, which is being held in Johannesburg.
SHORTLIST ANNOUNCED: 2015 NIELSEN BOOKSELLERS’ CHOICE AWARD
London, Cape Town, Monday 13 July, 2015
Whether you are keen on fiction – contemporary or historical, food & drink or biography, there is something for everyone on this year’s shortlist.
South African booksellers had the opportunity to vote in this annual award to choose the book they most enjoyed reading, promoting or selling during 2014. The promotion, now in its fifteenth year, celebrates South African writing, by South African authors to showcase the best that South Africa has to offer.
Mo Siewcharran, Director of Marketing and Communications at Nielsen Book said: “Nielsen Book has been sponsoring and supporting this award since 2000 and we are delighted to continue that support and encourage writers to tell their stories for all those eager readers. The winning book and author will be announced at this year’s PASA and SABA Annual Conference on 26 August, which is being held in Johannesburg.”
The Shortlist consists of three fiction titles, covering contemporary, historical and romance, and for the second year running we have a healthy eating title on the list – this year we are looking at low carbohydrates – to complete the five titles on the shortlist there is a biography that connects with many people today.
- 150 Stories by Nataniël le Roux, published by Human & Rousseau
- Goeiemore Mnr Mandela by Zelda la Grange, published by Penguin Books South Africa
- Kamphoer by Francois Smith, published by Tafelberg Publishers
- Low Carb is Lekker by Ine Reynierse, published by Struik Publishers
- The Keeper by Marguerite Poland, published by Penguin Books South Africa
Dr Sally-Ann Creed, one of the winning authors from 2014, said:
“It was one of the highlights of my life to be part of the team who won the Nielsen Booksellers’ Choice Award – it was an enormous honour for us all! The support of Nielsen Book has been extremely important to us, and we look forward to a wonderful response as we bring the Real Meal Revolution to Europe and beyond. Thank you Nielsen Book for the coveted award, it means the world to us!”
- Goeiemore, Mnr. Mandela by Zelda la Grange
Find this book with BOOK Finder!
- Low Carb is Lekker by Ine Reynierse
Find this book with BOOK Finder!