LITERARY PROGRAMME MANAGER
Join the exciting journey of bringing storytelling, books, the book industry in all its wonderful forms and so much more to South Africa.
About the South African Book Fair (SABF)
In 2017, the South African Book Development Council (SABDC) chartered a new journey for the South African Book Fair (SABF) by firmly declaring the values and principles required for change and transformation in the South African book industry. These were articulated and manifested at the 2017 SABF event. The SABDC remains committed to the ongoing use of the SABF to further develop, with all its stakeholders, a shared understanding of the following:
- The meaning of being South African.
- The meaning of having an African perspective.
- The shape and forms transformation should take.
- The reading culture(s) that need to emerge and flourish.
Post: Literary Programme Manager
An excellent opportunity is available for an experienced Literary Programme Manager for SABF 2018. The successful candidate will assist with leading the very ambitious vision of the SABF through a diverse, dynamic, topical and uniquely African literary programme.
Reporting to the CEO of the SABDC, the Literary Programme Manager will work with the SABDC core staff and the SABF team to ensure all elements of the literary programme are implemented on time and within budget.
The key responsibilities of the role will be to:
- Develop and deliver a programme that is innovative, transformative, diverse and engaging.
- Develop collaborative programming, with engagement from key stakeholders.
- Ensure that established authors, and emerging and new talent, are all represented on the programme.
- Secure the presence of continental and international authors that embody the vision of a repositioned SABF.
- Ensure that the speakers are representative of South Africa and are diverse in their views.
- Develop and implement a fun, light and enchanting children’s programme.
- Develop key literary activities in the lead-up to SABF 2018.
- Work with a programme assistant to manage all the logistics around speakers and their events.
- Liaise with service providers to ensure the smooth, effective delivery of the literary programme (e.g. with events company, ticketing company, PR and marketing).
- Make input into and support the PR and media plan for the SABF.
- Write creative content for the Literary Programme.
- Set up an effective knowledge-management system that includes efficient record management.
- Gather monitoring and evaluation data for statistics and analysis on success indicators for the SABF’s Literary Programme.
- Organise and co-ordinate debriefs for the programme.
The successful candidate will:
- Work within the governance structures of the SABDC, in a neutral, pre-competitive, growth-oriented manner.
- Work in a high-pressure environment, be team oriented, with a flexible approach.
- Be knowledgeable and sensitive to the prevailing challenges and dynamics within the book industry.
Competencies and skills required
High levels of knowledge, competency and skill are required. The following apply:
- Extensive knowledge of South African literature and South Africa’s literary communities.
- Strong management, written and communication skills.
- Willingness to work as part of a small team.
- Ability to initiate as well as collaborate.
- Ability to work within a strategic framework.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Industry-wide contacts.
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders.
- Basic financial record-keeping experience.
- Some event-management experience.
Please submit a detailed CV and a brief programme strategy to the SABDC by 24 November 2017. Interviews will be held around 30 November 2017.
Please contact the SABDC at (021) 914-8626 for further information.